Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Terra Sigillata to move to ScienceBlogs.com

I'm quite happy to announce formally that Terra Sigillata will be one of the new blogs in the new wave of additions to ScienceBlogs.com, the "global, digital science salon." ScienceBlogs.com is a division of Seed Media Group in New York City and publishers of Seed Magazine. The proposed move and launch date is June 2nd.

I have to admit that the invitation to join ScienceBlogs.com came as a bit of a surprise. I started this blog a little over five months ago as an experimental instrument to gain experience writing on health issues for a more general audience. I didn't even tell my family about the blog until about six weeks ago.

Spurred on by my medical journalism colleagues (i.e., real career writers and publishers) and several bloggers who have grown to be good friends, I learned there was a void in the blogosphere for objective information on herbal medicines, dietary supplements, and single-chemical-entity pharmaceuticals derived from nautral sources. I also started with the intention of publicizing my chosen field, Pharmacology, one of the original interdisciplinary sciences and the forerunner to what academics are now calling Chemical Biology.

Reading over my old posts this weekend, I realize that I've gotten a bit distracted at times from my primary goal. There have been a few very popular posts on that relate to herbal medicines and natural products but, as in my professional life, I have been easily distracted by many other things that excite me: music, civil rights, gender inequality in science and medicine, the politics of science, and helping British readers solve their crossword puzzles. I've also moved some of my more local interest posts to another blog as I have always been a booster of every town or city where I've trained or been a prof.

So, I'll be spending this week expressing my gratitude to those who inspired me, gave me advice, encouraged me, and gave me shots at hosting carnivals. You hear me talk about these people all the time.

But the greatest thanks go to those of you who are frequent readers, without whose support I would've never gotten Seed's attention in the first place. A few of you are commentors and fellow bloggers, but the majority of you are faithful lurkers whose IP domains frequent my Site Meter logs. You are the unsung heroes of my success to date. I hope to continue to earn your confidence and continued readership as we move on to our higher profile gig at ScienceBlogs.com.

7 Comments:

At Tue May 30, 11:49:00 AM EDT, Blogger Bill Hooker said...

Resistance is futile...

But seriously, congratulations.

 
At Tue May 30, 01:30:00 PM EDT, Blogger Ewen M Callaway said...

dude, congratulations. You'll bring a great perspective to the site. I look forward to reading.

 
At Tue May 30, 10:28:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dan Dright said...

Yay@!

 
At Tue May 30, 11:09:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats!

 
At Wed May 31, 06:58:00 AM EDT, Blogger insider said...

Good Luck in your bigger pond!

Have fun.

Cheers!

Jack aka Insider

 
At Wed May 31, 12:29:00 PM EDT, Blogger Shelley said...

Look forward to joining you over at SB!

 
At Thu Jun 01, 07:52:00 PM EDT, Blogger Honeybee said...

Glad that you decided to make the leap. You'll be a great addition!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home