Friday, April 21, 2006

Yet another case of political corruption of the scientific process

As I am currently reading a book on 40 years of scientific research on Cannabis sativa as a medicinal agent, I was appalled (but not surprised) to learn that the US FDA has overruled a 1999 Institute of Medicine report of the benefits of medical marijuana.

Does this latest decision have to do with the fact that the FDA is currently considering an application for a pharmaceutical grade marijuana-derived product sold in Europe and Canada?

The New York Times story concisely details yet another abomination of the scientifc process.

I'll have more to say later...

5 Comments:

At Fri Apr 21, 07:37:00 PM EDT, Blogger Clark Bartram said...

I have to agree that this smells strongly of political corruption. There is a wealth of evidence supporting medicinal use of marijuana for patients with cancer, AIDS, etc, etc. I've even seen some studies supporting its use for Tourette syndrome, a malady I suffer from although I haven't tried the stuff.

In case you haven't heard, I'm putting together a pediatric blog carnival and would love any submissions you may have on peds related topics. No pressure, just want to put that on the table.

 
At Sun Apr 23, 03:00:00 PM EDT, Blogger Katie said...

Definately political corruption in my humble opinion.

 
At Mon Apr 24, 12:32:00 AM EDT, Blogger Clark Bartram said...

Hey Abel, how about a plug for the pediatric grand rounds up at my place?

http://theclayexperience.blogspot.com/2006/04/welcome-to-first-pediatric-grand.html

 
At Mon Apr 24, 06:50:00 AM EDT, Blogger Abel Pharmboy said...

Clark: your points are very well-taken and I'll elaborate more on them when I finish a post on the book I'm reviewing. Sorry I didn't get a post done for the peds grand rounds but hope that the plug sends some folks your way.

Katie: just another case in a long string of scientific evidence being overrun under the watch of the current administration (current acting FDA commish is old Bush family cronie)

 
At Fri Apr 28, 09:29:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dan Dright said...

Don't get me started on the importance of cannabinoids in the nervous system and particularly in the brain.

Stuff like this just makes me fume.

I don't do drugs myself. So don't think I have any ulterior motives in advocating for something that has been effectively blocked by the FDA simply because it offends people who don't think twice about drinking themselves into a stupor, and doesn't offer an economic model that ensures huge profits for someone.

Grrr.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home