Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Relocation of some content to experimental blog

Being a scientist, I'm trying an experiment. I've moved some of my more personal and local-flavored posts to a new blog called Bull City Booster.

I don't want to dilute the science content here, but I also like to muse about things going on in my real-life community. Since Blogger doesn't easily support categories, I thought I'd take a lesson from one of my blogging mentors, Coturnix/Bora Zivkovic, and start another blog. Coturnix is host to the wildly-popular Science & Politics, a research-based scholarly blog on chronobiology, Circadiana, and the lower-traffic but very useful biology teaching blog, The Magic School Bus, among others. I barely have time to read all three, much less author them all in addition to his multitude of others.

I have nowhere near the breadth of knowledge of Bora, but after talking with some folks I figured that people like JM O'Donnell of Immunoblogging in New Zealand might not care much about my family's passion for Duke women's hoops and the surprise-a-day lacrosse scandal. Or, who knows, Joseph may actually be quite interested.

I know, I know, what the world needs now is another blog like I need a hole in my head (hat tip: Cracker). But for my homeboys and girls, mosey on over to Bull City Booster.

Regardless of your geographical location or interests, let me know, positive or negative, what you think of the experiment of separating content in this manner.

As Bartles and Jaymes used to say, "Thank you for your support."

9 Comments:

At Tue Apr 11, 09:24:00 AM EDT, Blogger Bora Zivkovic said...

I think this is a good idea. This way, you are never second-guessing yourself about the audience: are the science/medicine readers interested in Duke basketball or agreeable with your politics, and are the local bloggers or family%friends interested in medicine and science.

 
At Tue Apr 11, 06:52:00 PM EDT, Blogger Clark Bartram said...

Your first link to the new site has blospot instead of blogspot. Fortunately this does not send the unwary reader to any sites of questionable morals however it does not send them to your new site.

 
At Tue Apr 11, 08:58:00 PM EDT, Blogger Abel Pharmboy said...

Lovely, indeed. Thanks, Clark. What a great way to launch a new blog. Thanks very much for at least trying to look at the auxillary site.

However, it is quite interesting to see where the 'blospot' address sent me. I ended up at a 'heroic' search results page for various nightclubs, nightclub furniture, and arowana breeding.

It could've been worse - I might have been sending folks to PZ's 'sex in the MRI' post.

Fortunately, Coturnix was nice enough to link to me on his Science & Politics page, but he got the URL correct. Thanks, gents!

 
At Wed Apr 12, 10:35:00 AM EDT, Blogger Bora Zivkovic said...

Well, you have two links - I clicked on the second one which was correct all along.

 
At Fri Apr 14, 05:53:00 AM EDT, Blogger JM O'Donnell said...

I certainly don't mind posts that aren't on a strictly science/medical topics on blogs I visit. They are often interesting breaks of pace from other material on the site and lets someone learn a little about the blogger in question.

I do concede though that I very rarely (if ever) post about myself or what I think of politics on my blog. I try to take an approach similar to the skeptics circle where I avoid politics if possible. That's mostly a reflection of two points:

A) I don't like any political parties and I've come to the conclusion that the two main parties are copies of each other (basically)

B) I really prefer to write about science :p

If I ever made a new blog for whatever reason, it would be for my various writing projects that I do in the Cthulhu mythos among other places.

Good luck with your new blog though. I've always figured it would just be extra work to maintain two blogs at once :p

 
At Fri Apr 14, 07:04:00 AM EDT, Blogger Abel Pharmboy said...

Joseph, thanks for commenting - I didn't mean to pick on you specifically, but I was trying to think of a regular reader and blogger I know who lives the farthest from me. Not sure that anyone from Perth, Australia comes by, so you were the next farthest.

I still remain ambivalent because I sometimes like to hear personal anecdotes in the blogs I read because it helps me know the writer as a person and, now as a parent, I like to read kid stories from Tara, Janet, Rob Helpy-Chalk, etc. In fact, the post I'm working on right now is part personal and part medical, but it's medical enough that I'll post it here on Terra Sig.

I really enjoyed your latest post on the direction of your own blog. I agree that there are plenty of good debunkers out there; my goal here with the herbal medicine side of things is more to provide info but I will rale occasionally on dubious marketers.

I'm so terribly ignorant about your part of the world, I'll have to Google Cthulhu so I can speak with you intelligently.

 
At Fri Apr 14, 08:16:00 PM EDT, Blogger Bora Zivkovic said...

Well, my job is to twist hands...so, I was thinking that your new local/personal blog would be great for hosting a Tar Heel Tavern. It is the North Carolinians, after all, you'd like to attract to that blog. P.S. missed you last night - it was great fun.

 
At Fri Apr 14, 08:17:00 PM EDT, Blogger Bora Zivkovic said...

It was "arms", not hands...

 
At Thu Apr 20, 06:51:00 AM EDT, Blogger JM O'Donnell said...

I'm so terribly ignorant about your part of the world, I'll have to Google Cthulhu so I can speak with you intelligently.

Or at least appreciate the sheer horror of the sinister one dead but dreaming in his house under the waves of R'lyeh.

:p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home